Walmart Pay is Walmart’s contactless payment system that lets you use your smartphone to pay for purchases in-store. It allows you to securely store your debit, credit, and Walmart gift card information so you can skip pulling out your physical cards, cash, or change at checkout.
Many shoppers wonder whether you can use your Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) card with Walmart Pay. EBT cards are used to access Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits, also known as food stamps, as well as cash benefits. So can you use EBT on Walmart Pay?
The Short Answer
Unfortunately, you cannot use your EBT card directly with Walmart Pay in Walmart stores. However, EBT cardholders in 48 states can use their benefits for online Walmart Grocery Pickup and Delivery orders placed through the Walmart app or website. This allows you to shop online and pay using your EBT card, then pick up your order at your local store or have it delivered.
Here’s a Full Breakdown of Using EBT With Walmart Pay and Online Orders:
Using EBT In-Store With Walmart Pay
Walmart Pay does not currently support EBT cards as a payment method when checking out in stores. You cannot add your EBT card to Walmart Pay or use it to scan and pay at checkout.
The main reason is that Walmart Pay does not connect directly with your bank or EBT account. Instead, it communicates with Walmart’s servers to authorize the payment. EBT has its own unique payment processing system that is not currently integrated with Walmart Pay.
So when paying in-store, you will need to use your physical EBT card and enter your PIN at the point-of-sale terminal. Walmart accepts EBT cards at all locations that sell grocery and food items. Just swipe your card or insert the chip and enter your PIN like usual.
Using EBT Online for Grocery Pickup/Delivery
The good news is that you can pay for Walmart Grocery Pickup and Delivery orders using your EBT benefits in 48 states. Only Alaska and Montana do not currently accept EBT payments online.
To use your EBT card online with Walmart:
- Sign into your Walmart online account and go to Payment Methods
- Select the option to add your EBT card if available
- Enter your EBT card details and save
- Add grocery items to your cart as normal
- At checkout, select EBT as the payment option
- Enter the amount you want to pay with EBT
- If your order total exceeds your EBT balance, pay the remainder with another payment method
- Complete the EBT card PIN authorization
- Place your pickup or delivery order
With this method, you can conveniently use your food stamp benefits to pay for Walmart Grocery orders online. Just make sure EBT is accepted for online orders in your state first. The pick up your groceries at your local store or have them delivered.
A Few Limitations to Know
When using EBT with Walmart Grocery Pickup and Delivery, keep the following limitations in mind:
- You can only use EBT to pay for eligible grocery items, not delivery fees, tips, or other charges
- Your EBT benefits are applied to the total cost of eligible items
- No minimum basket size is required to use EBT online
- Allow up to 24 hours for EBT online payment to be activated on new Walmart accounts
- You must have an existing EBT card and set up the card in your Walmart account first
As long as you follow the proper steps to add your EBT card to your account, you can seamlessly use your food stamp benefits to pay for Walmart grocery orders online.
Tips for Using EBT at Walmart
When shopping at Walmart with your EBT card, keep these tips in mind:
- Check your balance beforehand – Know how much you have available on your EBT card so you don’t go over the amount at checkout.
- Separate EBT and non-EBT items – Keep EBT-eligible foods separate from non-food items that can’t be paid for with benefits.
- Bring another form of payment – Have a second payment method like cash or a debit/credit card in case you need to cover any non-EBT items.
- Use EBT payment first – Be sure to use your EBT benefits before any other form of payment at checkout.
- Save your receipts – Keep your receipts to track your EBT expenditures and balance.
- Take advantage of sales and deals – Look for coupons, markdowns and other ways to maximize your EBT dollars at Walmart.
EBT Cards Accepted Nationwide at Walmart
Walmart proudly accepts EBT cards at all locations with grocery sections across the United States. This includes:
- All Supercenters
- Standard Walmart locations with a grocery department
- Neighborhood Market stores
The only exceptions are Walmart Express stores, which are limited-selection convenience store formats. So you can count on being able to use your EBT benefits at nearly any Walmart store.
Types of EBT Cards Accepted
Walmart accepts the following types of EBT cards:
- SNAP EBT Cards – For purchasing food with SNAP (food stamp) benefits
- Cash Benefits EBT Cards – For accessing TANF or other cash assistance funds
- WIC EBT Cards – For purchasing WIC-approved grocery items
As long as you have funds available on your EBT card, you can use it to buy SNAP-eligible foods at Walmart. Some states issue separate EBT cards for SNAP and cash benefits while others combine them onto one card. But Walmart accepts all EBT card types.
Purchasing Eligible Items With EBT at Walmart
SNAP benefits can only be used to purchase certain qualifying food items at Walmart and other retailers. Here are the general guidelines for what you can and cannot buy with EBT at Walmart:
EBT Eligible Purchases
- Breads, cereals, grains
- Fruits, vegetables
- Meats, fish, poultry
- Dairy products
- Snack foods, sodas
- Seeds and plants for growing food
- Baby formula, pedialyte
- Bottled water
Ineligible EBT Purchases
- Prepared hot foods
- Non-food items
- Pet foods
- Diapers, toiletries
- Household supplies
- Medicines, vitamins
- Alcohol, tobacco
If you are ever unsure whether an item can be purchased with SNAP benefits, check with a Walmart associate. Some states also impose additional restrictions on certain candy, soda, and snack items.
Using EBT for Walmart Grocery Pickup and Delivery
In addition to in-store shopping, EBT cardholders can use their SNAP benefits to pay for Walmart Grocery Pickup and Delivery orders online in 48 states.
How Walmart Grocery Pickup Works With EBT
- Add your EBT card as a payment method on your Walmart online account
- Shop for eligible grocery items online and add to cart
- Select EBT payment at online checkout
- Check out using your EBT food balance for the eligible groceries
- Choose a pickup time slot at your local Walmart store
- Pick up your prepaid order at the dedicated pickup area
This allows you to conveniently order groceries online ahead of time while using your SNAP benefits to pay. Then simply drive to the store during your scheduled pickup time to collect your bags.
How Walmart Grocery Delivery Works With EBT
- Add your EBT card to your Walmart account
- Shop online and add eligible groceries to cart
- Go through checkout and select EBT as payment option
- Pay for the EBT-eligible part of the order with your benefits
- Pay any delivery fees, tips or non-EBT items separately
- Choose a delivery time window
- Receive your fresh groceries delivered contact-free to your door
With delivery, you can shop for EBT-eligible items online and have them brought to your home at your chosen time. Just remember delivery fees cannot be paid for with EBT benefits.
People Also Ask
Can I use EBT for Walmart Grocery Pickup and Delivery nationwide?
EBT cards can be used online for Walmart Grocery orders in 48 states. The exceptions are Alaska and Montana. EBT cardholders in all 50 states can use their benefits in-store.
How do I add my EBT card for Walmart Grocery orders?
You add your EBT card as a payment method in your Walmart online account. Go to Payment Methods and select the option to add EBT if prompted. Enter your card number and details to save it to your account.
Can I use my EBT card at self checkout in Walmart?
Yes, Walmart’s self-checkout registers accept EBT card payments just like standard checkout lanes. Simply insert or swipe your EBT card and enter your PIN to pay.
What grocery items are eligible for EBT purchase at Walmart?
Staple foods like bread, fruits, vegetables, meat, eggs, and dairy are EBT-eligible. SNAP benefits can also be used to buy snack foods, sodas, seeds/plants for growing food at home, and baby formula.
Can I get cash back with an EBT card at Walmart?
No, you cannot get cash back or cash withdrawals using an EBT card at Walmart. EBT cards can only be used to purchase eligible food items.
While you currently cannot checkout using Walmart Pay and EBT together in stores, Walmart provides ample options for EBT cardholders to shop. You can use your SNAP benefits at any Walmart location with a grocery department by swiping your EBT card and entering your PIN. Additionally, Walmart Grocery Pickup and Delivery accepts EBT payments online in 48 states, offering added convenience.
As one of the largest grocery retailers in the U.S., Walmart caters to EBT users by allowing them to stretch their food dollars further. The savings on many staple items in combination with Walmart’s everyday low prices make it an ideal place to use your SNAP benefits. So you can shop worry-free knowing your EBT card is accepted for both in-store and online Walmart grocery purchases in most areas.